For He said to him, “Come out of the man, unclean spirit!”Then He asked him,“What is your name?”And he answered, saying,“My name is Legion; for we are many.”Also he begged Him earnestly that He would not send them out of the country.Mark 5 v 8-10
This story is a perfect and the best revelation of what it’s all about
- a fight for the territory
It all begins with this man who was demon tormented and they put him through hell.It is interesting when the conversation started between the unclean spirit “Legion” and Jesus it recognised who he was and called him by name “Son of the most high God” and later the demon asked permission from Jesus that if he could cast him out of the man,it was fine but not to send him/them/Legion out of the country/territory/domain.It is here we must realise that really it wasn’t just about the man but the area/place/geographical sorrounding.
This must then open our eyes to fact that there is a bigger picture here.They don’t mind leaving the individual as long as they remain in the area.But consider this:-Christ won the territory for you on the cross,you were given the dominion and authority to trample serpents and put everything under your foot,so my question is why are you letting the enemy have what’s yours?
- To the winner goes the spoils
Another reason they oppose is that who ever is victorious in this spiritual battle has the victory in the physical world eg
- Daniel fasted 21days and it took 21days for his answer to come,it was during this time that the Archangel was dispatched to aid the other angel.
- Another example is David and Goliath,Goliath cursed David by his gods and David’s responded with his God and we know the giant lost his head to a young sherpard boy.
- Elijah and the prophets of Baal when he called down fire from heaven that consumed the sacrifice that was drenched in water.
Point I am making is yes the authority is yours,as is the dominion but if you don’t exercise it and engange the enemy you will lose that which is trully yours.
- To thwart God’s Purposes on earth
As I already said the enemy cannot attack God directly so the next best thing is to attack his people,unfortunately as a Christian this mean YOU.The thing is we are the body of Christ and we have certain responsibilities:-
- prepare ye the way of The Lord Jesus,(the messiah said he would never return until the gospel has been preached to all nations) so who will do the preaching?yes you and the rest of the Christians.The enemy success in delaying the coming back is by attacking the people of God in thier health,finances,families,knowledge,anywhere and anyway he can do to limit the productivity of Christians and thereby limiting how much they can do for the kingdom of God.Its all fair game to him.
- To be conformed to the image of Christ,we must live our lives as how Christ is,last I checked our lord is on the right hand side of the father,if he is sick,worried,broke and addicted then perharps your reflection here does our lord justice.A little extreme but I hope you get my point.We must be healthy living abundant lives a reflection of Jesus,it is our reasonable service.
- As a church collectively when the body of Christ is weak,there cannot be a full results as God desires them to be in this world.
- To undermine the work of the cross
The work of Jesus on the cross is the only basis that the church/Christians have a legal ligitimate means of obtaining the promises of God.
The enemy opposes this because the promises of God through the blood sacrife of Jesus Christ contains the benefits and it is these benefits (some listed below) that are fuel and power to performance and restoration :-
- The grace of God
- The mercy of God
- Gifts of the spirit
- Guidance & counsel
- Lifting of curses
- It is thier rebellious nature
Notice they are driven by pride and it is said that their leader according to job 41 v 34 that he is the king of the children of the proud.They are driven by disobedience and rebellion and pride.
- They just hate you
The day you got born again, recieved Christ you entered into this conflict and it’s a war make no mistake,the kingdom of darkness hates you and it’s just something you just have to accept.
I will close with this,the word of God says resist the devil and he will flee from you.Resist the enemy Resist the opposition.Hopefully with this understanding of why they oppose, you get a full appreciation of what is at stake and the importance of standing for it.